Are you interested in online courses to explore new career options or to enhance your current qualifications? Penn State Extension has a selection of self-paced courses available online at very reasonable prices (especially when you consider the cost of comparable college classes). These are non-credit courses, though one noted below does offer certification.
Here are a few animal related offerings that caught our attention:
- Beef Production and Management (19 hours, $199)
- Beekeeping 101 (9 hours, $159)
- Best Milking Practices (6 hours, $99, *certificate course)
- Farm Biosecurity Best Practices (2.5 hours, $59)
- Food For Profit (4.5 hours, $279, for small business start-ups)
- Introduction to Value-Added Dairy (3 hours, $59)
There are also courses about food production, farming, land management, botany, and even an online tractor safety course that will certify participants to teach for the National Safe Tractor and Machinery Operation Program (just 2.5 hours and $39 if you’re interested).
The site also offers a variety of free videos, such as one covering sheep shearing tools or another that details the evaluation and preparation of cattle for market. There are also many articles and downloadable resources available at no cost. Take a look and see if there’s something for you!